Similar to a Twitter feed, it is possible to embed your Teachers.io homework on other websites. Google Sites has made this process a bit harder than most other website creators or blogs and requires a few steps beyond when I posted A Widget for your Class Site.
Most of the content for this post is thanks to @TonyAmsler from this post who posted on how to embed a Twitter Feed on Google Sites.
First, prepare a widget.xml file.
1. Create a new .xml file with the following content:
<?xml version=”1.0” encoding=”UTF-8” ?>
<ModulePrefs title=”Class Homework Timeline”/>
This is where you paste the widget code
2. Get the Teachers.io widget code from your class page as described in my previous post A Widget for your Class Site
3. Insert the widget code from step 2 into the xml file created in Step 1. You may also want to edit where it says “Class Homework Timeline” to be about your class.
Then, upload the .xml file as an attachment
1. In Google Sites, go to settings->manage site and select attachments in the lefthand navigation.
2. Upload the .xml file you created for your class widget.
3. Copy the url by right clicking or ctrl+click on the Download link
Finally, insert a gadget by url into your webpage
1. In Google Sites, navigate back to the webpage for the class you would like to share homework with.
2. Choose to Insert->More Gadgets. Select Add by URL from the lefthand navigation.
3. Paste the URL you copied earlier into the URL box.
4. Remove any text that occurs after the .xml on the filename.
Now you can use the Teachers.io app to quickly share information about your classroom and it will also update your course website.
But it didn’t work…Common Gotcha
If you see an issue similar to the one above saying the gadget is not valid when you try to add the gadget as a url, then this means there is a formatting issue in the .xml file you created. It likely occured copy/pasting. To remedy the problem, you may need to try and save the file again or even retype some of the problematic characters like quotation marks.